Monday, October 22, 2012

Scraping the Bone Review (part 5 of 10)

The Other Side.

Writing this review is hard for me because the ending of "The Other Side" hit me in the face like a rogue volleyball in gym class. At this ver moment I have so many questions I'd like to ask the author like his inspiration and blah blah blah... but what am I doing? You came to read a review.

"The Other Side" is the fifth story in William Malmborg's Scraping the Bone. The title made me think of something paranormal...aliens, ghosts, hell....something. As I read the story I was searching intently for that scary something. My heart raced as I neared the end (Come on Bill, where's the something. What am I looking for?) and because of this, the ending was such a twist that I feel like I've gone into shock or something. My brain shut down and I needed to take a few moments to read the last line over and over again just to make sure that I read it right the first time.
This rating is a hell of a lot easier than "The Phone Call". I give "The Other Side" a 5 out of 5 (I'd like to give it so much more than that but I'm trying not to demean the story by sounding silly).

Normally I look for something in the story that stands out, some line to quote to make you, dear reader, want to read the story. However, I felt like if I took a line from the story you'd assume that you knew what "The Other Side" is about, and I simply can't do that. Please download Scraping the Bone if only to read "The Other Side".

No comments:

Post a Comment