Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My First Bad Review

When I saw that there was a new review on Amazon for my story, I leapt at the chance to read it. Now I can't tell if I wished I hadn't or if I'm thankful for the opportunity to have someone review me so honestly.

I'm going to post it here, and I would like to thank the person who reviewed me. I wish I could tell you that I will take your (brutally) honest advice to heart and change a few things about my writing before I publish anything else.

"Could I rate this no stars please? So maybe I shouldn't be reviewing this since I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. I deleted it about half way, unread. I got it for free and was glad I didn't pay out any money for this.

Now I see the author is really a kid who just graduated from high school and it makes more sense to me.

It's pretty brutal, or at least the parts I read were. If that's your thing, you'll probably love it. For me, I tend to like stories with a bit more depth to them. I don't like brutality and violence just for the sake of a story being brutal and violent. That doesn't seem like horror to me, but just something that is horrible. There's a fundamental difference there that I think a lot of new writers seem to have forgotten.

If you're looking for a good scare give someone like Brandon Hale, Bentley Little and Jack Drew a try. I'd skip this one, even for free. My time is more valuable than to spend wasted on this kind of silly tripe."


I liked her use of the word "tripe".
I guess it just makes me happy that there are still people out there who can think for themselves and make up their minds on what is good writing and what is bad writing.

At the same time, it really hurts. Like....really hurts. Someone probably won't read any more of my work because this one piece was too gory (and boy..it is gory). But -shrugs- life goes on.

End Transmission

2 comments:

  1. "Life goes on" - that is the best way to look at things like this. It seems there are always tons of people out there ready to post a negative comment or review for something simply because it wasn't to their taste. And I highly doubt their time is so valuable that they actually have to be worried about losing some of it to a 17 page story that they only got halfway through. Wish I could claim such value to my time.

    These things hurt, I know (boy do I), but try your best not to let it get you too down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aawe :) Thanks Bill.

    And it did hurt a little, but I was mostly a little stunned that I've gotten far enough to even get a bad review lol.

    ReplyDelete