Monday, October 22, 2012

Scraping the Bone Review (part 4 of 10)

The Phone Call

"The Phone Call" is not a story to read when you're tired and your brain is muddled with the thoughts of sleep. Because I made the mistake of reading it right before bed time, I needed to read it a second time for clarification. "The Phone Call" makes you think, and you might not understand what is happening if you are not paying attention.
Because of this, I am torn on how to rate it. It's another incredibly well crafted piece from Malmborg, yet because I had to read it twice I'm tempted to give it a 4 out of 5........I think I'll give it a 4.5. Yes. I give "The Phone Call" 4.5 out of 5 stars, and that is the hardest rating I've had to give so far.
As per usual with Malmborg's work, many of the lines stand out on their own, however, this one takes the cake: "Hearing the ring was like listening to the lottery numbers being drawn and having all of them correct but the last."
I highly suggest you check out Scraping the Bone while it is still free on Amazon. I haven't been disappointed with a story in this collection thus far and I highly doubt that Malmborg would include a disappointment-worthy story with the rest of these gems.

Malmborg, William (2011-12-20). Scraping the Bone: Ten Dark Tales (Kindle Location 428).  . Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment